Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Guest Blog. Put Your Gremlin in Fabulous Shoes

Today I have my very first Guest blogger. This amazing lady has been one of my best Friends for many winters. We have seen each other through some crappy situations and shared some wonderfully happy moments. I hope you enjoy and hear her lovely message.

A guest post by Heather Hodgin



Put Your Gremlin in Fabulous Shoes
Some call it Taming Your Gremlin, others call it loving yourself.  This would be the time for me to tell you the clever thing I call it, but nope… I have no such clever name. However, I am ready to address this hot topic! It’s time to be nicer to ourselves and a great way to start is with positive self-talk. Did you know the average woman thinks over 36 negative thoughts about her appearance every single day? That’s over 252 negative thoughts every single week.
Now, to be fair I am an extreme optimist, but what if just for today we flip the switch? What if our self-talk could be more positive? What could we accomplish? Would we take better care of ourselves and be empowered to meet our goals? I am definitely not advocating ignoring or trying to squash negative feelings and emotions because those are very important too. As super awesome human beings it is our right and responsibility to check out this world in all of its colorful glory. However, I would be willing to bet if we as beautiful intelligent women embrace ourselves and learn to turn those 36 negative thoughts or self-talk into something positive and constructive then we would be generally happier, healthier and better for all of the people who count on us every single day.
Besides being an optimist I am always looking for the tactical. So, of course I am including a little list of tips and tricks to get this fluffy pink ball of happiness rolling down the road:
·         Awareness
o   Catch yourself in the act! You know when you do it. When your self-talk turns negative evaluate it…
-  What is your evidence for and against your thinking?
-  Are your thoughts factual, or are they maybe interpretations?
- Did you jump to negative conclusions (this always reminds me of “Office Space”)?
-Are your thoughts actually true?
·         Reframe
o    Every situation has lots of different vantages. It’s up to you how you look at what you bring to the surface with self-talk. Now that you’ve caught yourself doing it, change it around…
- Are there other ways to look at this situation?
- What else could this mean?
-  Can you switch this thought to be positive and/or constructive?
-  Is this situation as bad or dramatic as you are making it out to be?
-  What is the best thing that could happen?
-  Is thinking this way making you feel groovy or supporting your goals?
- If your negative thoughts end up being true (bleh), what are some little things you can do to solve the problem?
·         Practice and Repeat
o    Anything worth doing (well almost anything) requires practice and repetition to improve. Do it, do it and do it again. When you get tired of doing it, take a deep breath, pause and then… Well, you know what to do.
This is not just another thing for your to-do list ladies, this is a call to action. You are fabulous, gorgeous creatures with infinite possibilities. Get out there, put on an outfit that makes you feel stunning, love yourself and do great things! For all of you fellas, I think you are pretty cool too, but this one is for the ladies ;)
My Outfit of the Day and IAPOMS

I love this outfit so much! It makes me feel completely fantastic and stylish, but also really comfortable for a casual Friday at work.
The jeans are from Gap’s Perfect Boot collection in the darkest wash I could find. I have worn these jeans to death, but they are my favorite go-to for weekends, casual wear or pairing with a sparkly top and heels for a night out on the town.
The shoes are cute little neutral flats from Jessica Simpson’s collection. I generally wear flats at work because I feel overwhelmingly silly in heels when working with people decked out in combat gear or firefighting ensembles. I like the neutral tone because it makes my legs look extra-long when I have them out and about.
The top is my favorite part of this outfit. It is from this year’s American Rag collection. I picked it up at Macy’s and if I could have I would have bought the collection in its entirety. I like things that have a little something special about them. The flair at the waist and the lace detailing on the back are divine.
I am a size 6 and I am proud of my size!


1 comment: